Squares Win Changed to a Loss

Im not suggesting people got screwed or didn’t, but this why I dont bet on things that have a worded description oh boy what a mess either way

Ryan, I don’t have a dog in this fight, but I have to weigh in. Even what you just posted doesn’t explain this away. No one on earth thinks “each quarters score” means anything but the score at the end of that quarter. The score on the scoreboard. To advertise a bet that means points scored in that quarter requires very specific wording to that effect, especially because we’re all familiar with squares contests that only pay out on the scoreboard score at the end of that quarter, NOT the number of points scored in that specific quarter. Such a contest is so much different than what nearly anyone would think that it requires a VERY specific definition.

7 Likes

I didnt do squares here this year but ive gotta agree with the poster above me.

The issue is in how everything was worded which unfortunately if worded improperly , Bovada should pay out of goodwill for their own reputation. Much like sites like DK & FD do in these instances for good publicity. That money will ultimately always go back in Bovada’s pockets anyway & the players will overall be happier, albeit temporarily haha.

So id have to agree-- I think they should be paid and the verbage just changed in future contests.

5 Likes

The examples were so that people know how the number work in relation to the score. Not as an example of scoring vs total score. At no time did the examples state the score written were scores for the quarter. But rather if the score after the 2nd is then the numbers would be etc.

3 Likes

I agree, if I don’t get my winnings I’m not using them ever again. Everyone sees they’re in the wrong except them.

3 Likes

As a note here we’ve had to remove a number of posts for breaking our terms of Service or Code of Conduct on this page. Please review what is and isn’t acceptable on our public platform. We understand the frustration above, but still need to follow our guidelines on the thread.

We are again looking into both the wording of the other squares, as well as forwarding feedback in relation to the wording of this wager. Note though that in a case like this it isn’t only you that we need to consider. Overturning the wager result also means taking funds away and overturning the result for players that did indeed know what this wager was for and bet accordingly. In other words players that had 4-4, 7-3, or 7-8.

Of course those that didn’t get the wager result they’d hoped for are the ones arguing on the thread (wrong or right), but if you had wagered on this knowing that it was a quarter result and not the score result per quarter you would obviously not want this to be overturned.

Again this is not me disagreeing with anyone above, but merely providing some context. I sincerely understand where most of the arguments above are coming from. That being said this is likely to take a couple of days at a minimum to fully review as we need to likely escalate this to our leadership teams. We also can’t guarantee that these will be overturned or what the result would be as it’s not our decision.

1 Like

I have been preaching this for the longest. Not saying that is the case here, but if a bet was originally paid out, just let us have it. We are going to pour it back into the site anyway

2 Likes

This is so funny. So many grading mistakes. Lol

@Ryan_Bovada This is the biggest point being made on this thread. Others have said it too. It will cost Bovada a trivial percentage of its profit for Super Bowl bets to make right on this and pay BOTH ways. It’s not as if it’s really going to cost in he long run. The money will be rebet and Bovada will get it back. By being sloppy (or intentionally misleading) with the wording, and then acting like a lawyer pointing to the small print in legalese, you’re posssibly winning the battle but losing the war. And again, I did NOT bet on this. I don’t have a dog in the fight. But I’m siding with BOTH the players affected AND Bovada; trying to point out to Bovada that not paying on a technicality (caused by terribly ambiguous wording) may cost Bovada a few thousand dollars in the (very) short run but will cost the site WAY more in diminished future business.

5 Likes

I agree with the point above, I did have a dog in the fight and when I went to bet the square there was no distinction at that point it was only the quarter score, even when I discussed with the associates the way they worded it still wasn’t clear, it was always assumed you would know it was different than the normal squares. It has been a horrible experience.

2 Likes

If that was the case, in this case and many others that are like it, how come no one is in here defending the wording or “winning” bet. I promise you if anyone was on the “winning” side of these bets, they probably thought they lost and were surprised to see it overturn. Again, I find that unlikely because no one is in here defending the wording or their “winning” bet. Just like many other instances on this site where a controversial wager was in question, you never see anyone that actually benefited from it commenting and saying they are happy with the result

2 Likes

Suggested new marketing campaign:

Bovada: Where we’re always right, and when we’re not, we’ll never admit it. And where the customer is always wrong. Give us your money!

4 Likes

So right. They are never wrong. Its really sad they feel the need to never admit the obvious. Why are there 3000 posts on grading mistakes weekly.

2 Likes

Why are there 20 posts with hundreds of replies about tech issues on the site over the last 2 wweks abd the mods are still trelling me there’s" no reported issues"

Lifes a mystery lol

Or they think i cant read

One or the other

1 Like

Bad look for Bovada. I didn’t wager on any of these but completely agree with all the people who “lost” the wager. I use “lost” because, given the information provided from Bovada, you didn’t really lose. The fact that they offered any sort of compensation, $5 in this case, is proof that they’re aware of the mistake but are trying to remedy it with as little money as possible. The mods bringing up the implications for other players who they say won with “the correct understanding of the wager” is a cop out for their mistakes and a slap in the face to everyone in this thread.

I realize that there are terms and conditions covering mistakes by the site, but it’s frustrating how one-sided everything is. If I accidentally wager on an under, when my intentions were to take the over, I don’t get to contact customer service and have the bets canceled because of my mistake. Hopefully they do right by everyone in this case, but I’m not holding my breath. The Bovada of old would have made things right, but the 30x sports rollover current Bovada is unlikely to.

4 Likes

Hopefully this all gets worked out

1 Like

Don’t let this die

1 Like

Lol. Bovada never wrong. It dies like all the other wager issues. They declare they are right and move on.

Id still like to know how they explain the initial pay out. Im assuming it was the system that paid out which means that if what they are saying is true, it was input into the system incorrectly. But this bet isnt a simple “oh we input the incorrect number or it was a typo”. This bet requires the input to be based on the way the bet was interpreted, if this happens then that outcome kind of input. And they cant honestly think that that was done by 1 person. So there must be people at Bovada who read and understood the bet to be what we read and understood the bet to be. So I dont see how they can come here and say “It clearly states that it is based on points per quarter”.

1 Like

In the end it doesnt matter if it was input incorrectly in their system because the discussion here is what we believe to the bet to be vs what they say the bet to be. And if some people at Bovada read and understood the bet like we did in order to input the bet incorrectly into their system I think Bovada needs to pay out our wins.

1 Like